[TowerTalk] NVIS and Antenna Height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] NVIS and Antenna Height
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:13:22 -0800
On 1/17/2019 2:59 PM, Keith Dutson wrote:
I guess I should have said NVIS rather than cloud warmer.   Used a 40 meter
dipole at 30 feet to work a lot of stations in US from YN2 a couple of years
ago.

This is another serious misconception caused by the way ARRL plots vertical radiation patterns, setting the scale to the angle of maximum radiation. If you plot patterns for all antenna heights on the same scale, you learn that, in general, higher is better for NVIS, and, over "flatland", for DX too.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf shows that 0.2 wavelength is approximately optimum height for horizontal antennas for NVIS, and that height has to be increased a lot to degrade NVIS. It also shows that verticals are lousy for NVIS because they have very little radiation at high angles.

I STRONGLY agree with KQ2M regarding the importance of terrain, and you don't have to be on a mountaintop for it to matter a LOT.

73, Jim K9YC