Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "jimlux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:06:12 -0500
There is another limitation as well....

While K6STI’s YO program allowed you to select from a list of “stock” antennas,
or put in the actual measurements of your own, and THEN stack them, over ACTUAL
terrain,
HFTA does not allow you to specify an exact antenna – only a “generic” one.

That might not sound significant until you realize (by doing the actual
modeling) that the “best” heights for a given wave angle on a particular band
are actually DIFFERENT for different antennas.  And when you stack a pair or
three of the same DIFFERENT antenna, the best heights for a given wave angle
change even more and they have DIFFERENT lobes and patterns as the terrain
changes from flat to something else.

My stack of Hygain HG105CA’s or HG155CA’s or HG205CA’s produces different
patterns and lobes at different angles than a different 5L beam would.
Sometimes the differences are LARGE at a give wave angle.  Certainly this is
different than one would expect without modeling them.  HFTA will not
differentiate between different antennas – so what you see for lobes may be
incorrect – better or worse.

Likewise, K6STI’s fabulous program did not have a graph or chart that showed
the % of signal at a given wave angle.

So what to do?  The answer of course was simple – USE BOTH programs -  HFTA and
K6STI’s suite of programs!  Each for their best and most useful attributes.

I learned a lot more and developed a better 3D understanding of different
antennas, transmit and receive wave angles and the effects of stacking by using
BOTH programs.  And by changing the direction of the Terrain file and
replotting the actual heights about sea level in each direction for each
antenna and stacking combination, I learned how even the smallest terrain
changes could have ENORMOUS impacts on the best stacking heights and how the
best stacking heights changed yet again depending on the SPECIFIC antenna that
I was plotting.  Only through modeling and using BOTH programs did I discover
all of these valuable and unusual characteristics and information that were
essential to maximizing my 10, 15 and 20 meter signals.

The modeling programs are remarkably accurate and they have had profound
influences on my level of understanding and the quality of my signal.  For me,
they have been the most effective station additions that I could possibly buy!

For those of you who are still skeptical, I can say with complete confidence
that there are virtually NO big contest or DX stations that have been built in
the last several decades without extensive modeling of antennas and/or terrain
for their qth.  It’s one of the reasons why they are LOUD!

73

Bob  KQ2M