Re: [TowerTalk] Pier Pin Base

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pier Pin Base
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 21:08:40 -0500
When I lived in Illinois I replaced an 89' crank-up tower with a 160' Rohn 65g tower. I drilled a hole in the pad and used anchor cement from Home Depot for the pier pin. If I recall there are suggested hole sized with the product. There is no pressure on the pin and this worked perfectly for me.

John KK9A

K9MA wrote:

I'm replacing my old Rohn 25 with the same. Because the embedded base
section is rusting, I'll just drill a hole in the concrete and install a
pier pin. I have three questions:

1. What kind of adhesive/epoxy should be used to secure the pier pin? Is
Quikrete High Strength Anchoring Epoxy (8620-31) adequate?

2. What should I do with the old tower base stumps? My plan was to cut
them off flush with the concrete and fill them with some thin concrete
to prevent water from getting in and freezing. Any better ideas?

3. Is there anything else I should do to the concrete base where it
contacts the new tower base? (I'm using the Rohn BPC25G concrete base
plate.)

Thanks and 73,

Scott K9MA