Re: [TowerTalk] 6m Yagi 10' from a 10-15-20 Tribander

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6m Yagi 10' from a 10-15-20 Tribander
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 14:17:20 -0700
On 5/20/19 10:33 AM, Michael Clarson wrote:
Modeling is a great tool for predicting antenna performance, but it is only
one tool in our arsenal, not the only tool..  In the article link I sent
out earlier, it was not "someone's guess", but information based on actual
measurements. When modeling, there is always the chance of an incorrect
assumption or leaving out one of the variables etc. In this case, I would
take Kent's measurements and see if the modeling program predicts the same
results. If not, adjusting the model would be in order. Once the model is
adjusted to predict the same results as the actual, real world
measurements, then one can scale the frequencies and materials sizes and
see what the model predicts using Richard's antennas. -- 73, Mike, WV2ZOW

The OP was looking at 6m Yagi relative to a tribander (10,15,20, presumably?) spaced at 3m (10 ft) (1/2 wavelength at 6m, 1/3,1/5, 1/6 wavelength at higher frequencies). He didn't mention whether his tribander is a interleaved (FORCE 12, type) or loading coil variety. If the latter, one of the segments between the boom and loading coil, or the tips, could be the "wrong" length

However, the two antennas used in that article (for 440 and 915 MHz) aren't particularly representative of 3 element beams on related bands. For example, the two bands (70cm and 33cm) don't have any low order harmonic relationships. They also have a lot of elements (particularly the 33cm antenna)

Since none of the elements in one antenna is close to a multiple of a resonant size in the other antenna, the interaction will be limited.

Also, at the closest spacing (5.5" - 14cm) the antenna spacing is 0.2 wavelength (for 70cm) and 0.42 wavelength (for 33cm)

I don't know that this data dispels any rules -