[TowerTalk] EMI and lightning flash rate data?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EMI and lightning flash rate data?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 08:35:47 -0700
This is more HF radio related than specifically towers, but it does relate to "station planning".

I've been working with some very sophisticated HF propagation modeling tools (PHARLAP - it's a detailed ray tracing code that is much more detailed than VOACAP). I'm trying to build a model of received noise, and what I'd like to do is model the atmospheric noise, as propagated to a receiver site.

What I'm looking for, ideally, is gridded atmospheric RF noise vs time of day and day of year (climatology). Since the dominant source of that noise is likely lightning, a gridded climatological database of lightning flash rates would probably work.

The other thing that would be useful is some gridded database for human generated noise. I've been thinking about using something like the "earth at night" image and using the illumination density as a proxy for urban vs rural.

Ultimately, the idea is to figure out what elevation angle pattern would optimize the SNR for DX - if your desired DX is in the middle of a thunderstorm, nothing's going to help. But if the noise is coming from somewhere else, then maybe you can put a null on it. Stacked Yagis are the traditional approach here (top/bottom/BIP/BOP with a switch box), but a variable phase shifter might be more powerful than a switch box.