Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower

To: Dave Tipton <dave@w5dmt.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 09:55:32 -0400
The tower will have its mass concentrated at the 20' level, and the 50 lbs 'at the top' will have its mass concentrated at the 40'+ level. if the 'hinge' is at ground level and your winch is at the 10' level, the total force of those two loads will be:
2x the tower load PLUS
4x the 'top' load.
that's quite a bit for the position of the winch .. AND .. if the winch is connected to the garage, it just might pull the garage wall down.
73
Don
N8DE

Quoting Dave Tipton <dave@w5dmt.com>:

I have a 40 foot Rohn 25, with a tilt base section. It will be sitting next to a detached framed (not block) garage with siding.

I can attach a winch to an extra guy bracket I have at the ten foot level.

There will be roughly 50 lbs at the top of the tower. (Rotator, Hex Beam, GP3)

How much is the maximum force required to raise this from a cable at the 10 foot level?

Thanks,
Dave, W5DMT

Sent from my iPhone