Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:03:51 -0700
I own the following analyzers

1) N2PK,
2) DG8SAQ (SDR-Kits)
3) FA-VA5
4) Rig Expert AA-55 Zoom
5) EU1KY

Having grown up in a lab using a waveguide directional coupler, BWO sweeper, diode detector and oscilloscope with a grease pencil line for "calibration memory" to make SWR measurements, I'm a pushover for these marvelous instruments that can be held in the palm of my hand and that I can afford. That said, the first two on this list, while being the most accurate, are not handheld.

The FA-VA5 is nice, can be read in sunlight, but suffers, IMHO, by a cumbersome interface.  Running something this capable with three push buttons is a stretch.  This can also be used as a "front-end" to the DG8SAQ VNWA software which is extremely powerful, remarkably free and can be run on a Windows tablet in the field.

The AA-55 Zoom is good, although difficult to read in sunlight and has some glitches if you want to import data to a computer.  It likes to add one bogus data point to the end of a file.  When I first got mine and had issues, the support was very good.  As I found more nits to pick, the situation changed.  The also have the Rig Expert "AntScope" program to operate and manipulate data.  The older version of this is actually better.  The choice of screen colors in the later version are impossible for me to read. One of those nits that remains unresolved.

The EU1KY is a kit and runs open source firmware, that is in constant development by a number of guys. I'm using some by DH1AKF.  There are occasional lockups but generally it's fine.  It's in a rugged, but slightly clunky enclosure and uses a full color touch screen.  This washes out in sunlight but there is a "fat lines-daylight" mode that works okay.  See: https://bitbucket.org/kuchura/eu1ky_aa_v3/wiki/Home Interestingly enough this also interfaces to the Rig Expert AntScope software.

IMHO, the FA-VA5 offers the best bang for the buck.  My second choice for field work would be the AA-55.

Wes  N7WS