Re: [TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question on R-TA-45 Torque Bracket
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 15:45:17 -0400
Guys,

Another thing that might make your skin 'crawl' is the way Paul's towers were guyed.

I believe his brother, an ME, designed all of his rotating stuff.   At each guy ring, the contact points with the tower were hard rubber rollers.  They may have been rollers with the bearings pressed into the center, or they may have been 'extra' rollers, NOT the bearing that carried the load.   I am not sure of the exact setup.

Although they were hard rubber, if he tensioned the guys as they should have been tensioned, just sitting there, the rollers would compress and 'flat spot'. Then, when attempting to turn the tower, they would slide, instead of rolling.  Because of this, Paul kept his guys very, very loose.  I don't think it would be much of an exaggeration to say that a 200 foot long guy may have had 4 feet of sag, or 'belly'.   These were fiberglass guys, with no real weight, so sag was not due to weight of the guy itself.   Any tighter and the rollers would slide.   I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

But, that said, it did take a hurricane to take the tower down.

73 de Steve, NR4M