Re: [TowerTalk] Break-aways for Tree Installed Wire Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Break-aways for Tree Installed Wire Antennas
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 22:57:37 -0700
I'm not a fan of a weight on the hoist line to place tension on a wire antenna. It seems to me that it adds one more spring/mass resonant system element which can't be a plus. I think a long bungee is better as the differential force (k*dx) deviation over length change is less and there is negligible mass. The downside is bungees don't last very long, maybe a year or two. A safety loop is always a good idea for retaining the hoist line if the bungee fails.

I've found that ball bearing blocks are another help as the turning friction is way less than plain bearings. Thus the line turns the sheave rather than sliding in the block. Blocks need to be sized right for the line so it can't over-ride the pulley side or rub on the block cheeks. Polymer balls never need any lubrication. As K9YC notes taller trees move more, so this may be helpful. Also larger diameter sheaves subject to the line fitting properly will reduce line wear. Considering what it costs for a tree climber, $20 to $45 for a good Harken, Lewmar, or Ronstan block is a smart investment, IMO.

Also, it is amazing what a difference a ball bearing block makes in lower friction loss. Some measurements I've seen show a 40% lower tension on the output line of standard plain bearing blocks vs 10% on ball bearings blocks. There are claims that special plain bearing materials make loss much lower.

Friends I have loaned my ball bearing 4:1 block set with low stretch line to for tower work are amazed how much less pull force is needed. They are essential on larger sailboats with thousands of pounds load in sheets or vangs.

Generally, wire rope is out in sailing as high tech polymers equal the performance and are much more user friendly. It's increasing rare to see wire rope mooring for big ships. Plus aramid and polyesters float (instead of nylon) or have near neutral buoyancy making easier mooring line passing or don't add stress to the line from their weight for deep anchoring rodes. Plus is it hard to find blocks with sheaves grooved for wire rope - it is a different groove profile than for fiber lines.

Grant KZ1W