Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zones

To: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>, "undefined" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zones
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 15:05:56 -0400
Hi Rick,

Like I said, “I don’t know how long is required....”.  I used a hand crank to
crank up a very tall crankup tower many years ago at KR2N – it may have been a
TX472 but I don’t recall.  It was an agonizingly slow process – it was
interminable.  I didn’t time it.  It’s just a painful memory now.   ;-)

I used a round number of 1’ per second to crank up with an electric winch even
though the first section is not cranked up.  I had no idea that the electric
winch really operates about 1/15 of that speed!

20 Minutes?  The tower would have no chance to be cranked down in response to a
significant wind or weather risk.

Bob KQ2M