Re: [TowerTalk] measuring impedances with a VNA

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring impedances with a VNA
From: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:04:08 +0000
Hi all,

As Jim knows, I've spent some time investigating and learning how to measure
chokes correctly. That was a year or two ago.
Transformer type baluns are more difficult to measure with a two port VNA
(balun has 3 ports), but chokes are not that difficult, at least to get
relative values, not absolute.

As you know, during S21 measure, VNA only takes amplitude and phase values.
Rest of the information is maths calculated, including impedance.

Because not every VNA shows Zcm, I've made an upgrade to Dan's AC6LA ZPlots
(with Dan's permission) to calculate and show Zcm, Phase, LogMag, Mag, Cp, Rp,
Rs and Xs from any S21 Touchstone file.
I called it ZPlots Xtra, and you can grab a copy on below link:
Zplots_Xtra.xlsm<http://www.puertobalsillas.com/radio/Balun_Guanella_4_1/Zplots_Xtra.xlsm>
<http://foro.ea1ddo.es/>

It is my small bit to help everyone on this matter.

Thanks

73, Maximo - EA1DDO