Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors

To: "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>, "'W3YY'" <w3yy@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors
From: <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 17:45:56 -0400
You have to solder the center pin if it's not designed to be crimped, as is the
case with LMR-400 compatible UHF crimp connectors like the ones from DXE. I
believe the reason the center conductor is solder-only is because the center
conductor of LMR-400 type cables is too thick relative the standard diameter of
the UHF center pin to fit in a swaged crimp section.

But you're right that it's bad if the solder wicks down a stranded center
conductor. For that reason, I only solder 1/8" or so of the center conductor to
the end of the tube. I think this is safe because the center conductor doesn't
flex inside the tube. However, I've been tinning stranded center conductors to
make it easier to prevent them from unraveling as they get pushed in the tube,
which can happen with large stranded center conductors like LMR-400. This is
likely setting up the situation you describe, so I'm going to try not tinning
the center conductor next time.

73, Dick WC1M