[TowerTalk] Relay

To: "Tower and HF Antenna Construction Topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Relay
From: Roger Parsons via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 12:59:24 +0000 (UTC)
I have a large Jennings relay but no detailed information on it. It has the
following in the Model section of the label:

JGF-RE2    VSM3978    117SCR100-1 (73905)

It is clearly intended for AC power switching:

Insulation peak test:    15kV
Switch peak test    10kV @ 60CY
Switch rating     15A RMS
Actuator 28VDC

It is enclosed in a metail case about 3" diameter and 5" high, and the contacts
are brought out on ceramic insulators about 2" long. I don't think it is
possible to remove this case without damaging the relay, but I may be wrong.

The only parts I have been able to test are that it does indeed work at 28V DC,
and that the contact resistance is effectively zero at DC.

I want to use it to switch an antenna feed between 1.8Mhz and 475kHz. This will
take place quite infrequently. I need high voltage contacts because the 160m
feed is to the end of a half wave vertical.

If the relay is a vacuum type I am confident that it will be OK even if the
contact material is designed for low frequency power switching. If, on the
other hand , it is gas filled I have no idea but suspect that it may be useless
for this purpose.

Anybody have any more information?

Thanks and 73

Roger