Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter

To: Julio Peralta <jperalta4@verizon.net>, Tower Talk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 13:36:00 -0700
I bought an inexpensive one on ebay and used it to measure my ground rod field. It came with a calibration loop and I also made a cal loop with a resistor and it checked ok. A pretty cool meter.

An important thing when measuring (and prior when designing/installing) is to not make loops of grounding leads. Then the meter will measure the wire resistances. A star layout to a single bonding point at the entry panel and one at the tower is the best design for this and other more important reasons. Then each lead can be measured against the parallel resistance of the rest of the rods. Likewise each new rod can be measured against the group.

I found the "average" 8' x 5/8" rod was about 60 ohms, that #2 (new code) leads 15 to 20' long have enough surface area to contribute significantly to lower resistance when buried about 6 inches. For my 9 rods I measured with dry soil - 7.9 ohms, wet soil - 5.3 ohms and after a hard freeze (rare here) - 6.4 ohms. Computed by paralleling the resistance of each the rods and its lead and measuring against a 630 square foot earth contact Ufer foundation. So, I think the intrinsic error in this measuring strategy was low. Harger or Erico thermite welds to rods.

The Motorola book specifies 5 ohms as the "commercial standard" and elsewhere I've read that 10 ohms is the target for ham grounds.

Of course, ground field resistance is a proxy for inductance which is the most important variable to minimize. "Lightning is an RF event."

Have fun!

Grant KZ1W