[TowerTalk] A3 Traps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A3 Traps
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:00:50 -0500
The dimensions of the MFJ version of the A3 are the same as the original. (The manual is identical, basically just a copy.) The trap design is slightly different, with fewer turns on a slightly larger coil. The outside dimensions are the same. Since the rest of the antenna is the same, one would presume the trap inductance and resonant frequencies would be too, but I've been unable to verify that. I was able to measure the resonant frequency, I believe accurately, by very lightly coupling a signal generator and scope probe capacitively. I tested all the 15m traps that way, and tuned the replacement (MFJ) traps to the same frequency as the originals, one of which I suspected of being intermittent. No joy.

73,
Scott K9MA