[TowerTalk] Remote switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remote switch
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:04:18 -0700
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 11:29:18 -0700
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: n2ic@arrl.net, "towertalk@contesting.com"
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch

On 10/25/2019 9:26 AM, Steve London wrote:
> Thanks for the tips on measuring isolation, Wes.
>
> Measured a few switches I had laying around. Old B&W round switch. 70 dB
> @ 3.5 MHz, 60 db at 28 MHz. Not bad, considering. Array Solutions 2
> antenna Stackmatch. 45 dB @ 14 MHz. Hmmm.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC

<The legacy switches like the B&W shorted the unused ports
<to ground as a "lightning protection" feature.  There was
<some switch advertised as "Protax" that had this.
<I believe for a wafer switch like this, it basically costs nothing
<to do it.  With relays, it does cost something.

<Rick N6RK

##  IF  the  UN  used  ports  are  shorted,  I  would  suspect the
isolation  would be almost infinite.

##  easy  to  achieve with  a  2 wafer  rotary  switch .....  AND    multiple
pole  rotors  on  2nd  wafer.
Also  easy to  achieve  with spdt  relays..... or  dpdt  relays  with  contacts
 in  parallel.

##  with  relays,   COM  of  each relay  is  bonded to  its  respective  port.
relay 1...port  1.     relay 2..port 2   etc.   ALL  NC  CONTACTS  ARE
GROUNDED  TO  CHASSIS.
ALL  NO  CONTACTS   are  bonded  to the  input  main  1.5 kw /  rx buss.

##  all  de-energized relays  have  their respective ports  center  conductors
chassis  grounded.

## The  above is  for  simple   1 in.... and    XXX  ports  out.   Thick,  wide
 copper strap  used  to  form
the  50  ohm  stripline  spacing  between  the  pair  of  stacked 1 inch  wide
cu  straps  was,  I  think  aprx .25  to
.30  inches.   That  setup  is  used   on  the AS   20  kw  1 in,  XXX  ports
out  remote   switch  boxes.   The  <  5  kw
versions  will  use  PCB  for the  stripline.

##  SPDT  ceramic  vac  relays can  also  be  used.

## For  2 in   XXX  ports  out,  typ  3PDT  relays used....with  contacts in
series.

##  For  stuff  like  6  in  and 10  out   switches,   typ  used for  indoor HF
 commercial  applications,
a  cross  bar  matrix  is  used,  complete  with 16  x EIA  flange  connectors.

Jim   VE7RF