Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrites 31 vs. 77 material

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrites 31 vs. 77 material
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 07:45:48 -0800
On 11/8/19 8:36 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
A single turn through a given core has much less Z than the multi-turn variety.  And as frequency goes down for a given ferrite (of any type), the Z is also lower.

Two equations that help:

L (and Z) goes as number of turns squared - so 5 turns through a core has 25 times the inductance (or impedance) as 1 turn.

Z = L * 2*pi*f

So something that is 1000 ohms at, say, 144 MHz will be 100 ohms at 14.4 MHz.

So it's not that they only work at VHF, it's that the contribution to Z is pretty small, especially on HF.  Which is why you see that sleeve type chokes need a LOT of ferries to provide anywhere a reasonable choking Z.

Big cores (high mu) with lots of turns (big N^2) is the way to go..
(Except that at high frequencies, the capacitance between the turns short circuits the impedance of the windings - so there *is* a happy medium)

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com