Re: [TowerTalk] Times Microwave LMR-400 UltraFlex Cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Times Microwave LMR-400 UltraFlex Cable
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:56:47 -0800
Are you planning on using the TM cable outdoors, Elliot? I had really bad luck using LMR400UF in an outdoor application. While it was indeed very flexible, the jacket essentially disintegrated in the Southern California sun. Regular LMR400 by contrast holds up extremely well in the SoCal sun. Apparently the UF variety uses a TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) jacket whereas the regular LMR400 uses a PE (polyethylene) jacket.

Unless Times improved the formulation of the UF jacket material, I would be cautious about using it outdoors without some additional protection for the jacket (for a short rotor loop, a layer of 3M tape might do the trick). For indoor service, it should be fine.

73, Mike W4EF