[TowerTalk] Need a Knot Expert

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need a Knot Expert
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 18:01:39 +0000 (UTC)
Howdy, TowerTalkians -

    Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it and warm good wishes to
everyone else!
    I've been following this thread with some interest. In my book UP THE TOWER
- The Complete Guide To Tower Construction (available from championradio.com),
I have a whole chapter on knots and rope management.

    I've worked on over 260 ham installations where most times the owner was
the ground person. I can count on one hand how many of them knew any knots at
all. In my book I say that if you are trapped on a desert island and can only
take one knot with you - it'd be the bowline. A lot of my ropes and knots
experience came thru my days of mountain climbing. It was there where it was
suggested that you practice the bowline in a cold shower in the dark since it
may come down to that.

    The original post wanted to tie 2 ropes together where of course I'd have
suggested 2 bowlines. Other suggestions like a square knot with half hitches on
each end works great as well. (BTW I always triple knot half hitches for
guaranteed safety.) Suggestions for more sophisticated knots were good but
really outside the scope of your typical amateur.
    I also endorse the figure 8 which is indeed easy to tie and untie but for
my tower experience it is too big to be at the end of your haul line where an
inch one way or another is the difference between an easy successful job and
needing that extra inch for a lift and not having it.

    In my tower work I also use the clove hitch and the trucker's hitch.
They're both easy and wonderful when you need them.

    I don't think this is a new topic (a rare occurrence!) but doesn't come up
often so I hope everyone got something out of this thread.

Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH -Professional tower services for amateursCell:
206-890-4188