Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some foundation advice

To: "'Dick's'" <rcblumen@centurylink.net>, "'Tim Duffy'" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some foundation advice
From: "Mal Speer" <malco@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 00:52:58 -0400
About 5yrs ago I put up a TX455. Actually I had it put up by a professional
while I was still living up in NY. My QTH is in NC. When he tried to dig the
hole they couldn't get down more than 4'. Instead of digging a 6' deep by 4'
by4'. They dug a 6' by 6' by 4' deep. I am no engineer, but I don't think that
is just as good. I don't think that it is the weight of the concrete that holds
the tower up I think that it is the amount below ground compared to the amount
above ground. I was pissed when I was told about this. If I was there I would
have gone into the hole with a pick and shovel and dug another 2' into the
solid clay we have here. I have to say though the tower has been through a few
pretty good storms and one hurricane with no ill effects.
Also my tower is 300' from my shack. I have a 3el SteppIR 6 to 20 meters and an
a trapped inverted V for 40 and 75 meters. I have 300 feet of bury flex for
each. Both antennas work great.
They have these water cannon things that the cable guys use to shoot lines
under walks, maybe you could get something like that to get a line under the
road.
 Sorry about that I should have hit reply to all, the first time.

73 de Mal WA2TWA