Re: [TowerTalk] Shortened Elevated Radial Articles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shortened Elevated Radial Articles
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 10:10:34 -0500
There is a chart in the N6LF articles which shows the impact of radial length on field strength.  Figure 19.  60% would be 0.15 WL which is on his chart.  Rudy's numbers say there would be roughly a 0.4 dB drop in overall gain vs. 0.3 WL which is about the optimal length in the case of 4 radials.

Note this assumes a certain soil, consistent soil, 8' height and 80m frequency - some other charts show the interaction of these variables with gain so some interpolation of the various charts may be needed.  In my builds I had a bit of slope, drainage varied across the site and in one antenna, there were two bands involved.

You can literally look at these things until your eyes are crossed trying to nail down what they are saying to the 1/10 of a dB but that's probably not necessary.  I think a reasonable case can be made that more radials is better (which N6LF states outright) - more meaning 8+, and that current balance can be improved by moving away from exact 1/4 WL - either longer or shorter.  I've never seen any other data on measuring radials individually for the same X0 - so that may or may not have value.

I say longer or shorter - both push the radial off it's minimum Z which is really what you are going for.  For a higher count of radials (8+), the optimal length is a bit longer (around 0.35 WL).  For my 80/160 elevated, I think those were about 100' long which was a compromise value on the two bands.

Incidentally the reason I eventually put the radials in the ground was in part the difficulty of keeping the radials stable through the season.  Deer would whack them in the summer, ice would pull at them in the winter, and the winds are ever-present here.  I used bungees to tension them and those needed to be replaced.  Guys ask me which is better - and I don't have a good reason.  But it's definitely a pay me now or pay me later situation.  If you put the radial field in the ground, it's a lot of work as you need a lot of radials to get the same performance - so it's a pay up front thing.  The benefit is that once in the ground, they tend to be stable vs. time and weather.  Elevated radials on the other hand are quick, cheaper, but have on ongoing maintenance obligation which varies with your local circumstances and implementation method.  Think of elevated radials as a subscription antenna - regular payments of maintenance is needed. No free lunch with either choice of radial systems.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com