[TowerTalk] Tilt Base for Vertical

To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tilt Base for Vertical
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 12:52:19 -0500 (EST)
This doesn't sound like a lifetime installation.Get/make a Rohn style tilt
base, two plates hinged on one side.Set it on plastic cookie sheet
material.Enlarge the holes and insulate with plastic bushings, like PVC
pipe.Secure to ground with rebar and plastic washers, with metal washers on
top.Unless you live on quicksand, just set the base on the ground, or add some
treated wood to reduce capacity.Make washers from plastic sheet and weld big
nuts or short rebar cross pieces to rebar, a few inches from the top.Weld other
nuts/cross pieces to the top end of the rebar, to use for pulling out.Yes, you
get a few PF of capacity and some R leakage at the pins, but not likely bad for
80m.We do exactly this, without the plastic, for Rohn 25 towers, 30', every
field day.We pull the pins with a tractor boom or a farm jack.  Four per base
has been fine.You could have it up in an afternoon, with Miller time to spare.I
have a set of individual leg hinges for Rohn 25, so you could use any steel pla
 te, but you aren't likely to find those, I expect.WL