Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Broadside vs end-fire phasing of RX ants: MFJ-1

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Broadside vs end-fire phasing of RX ants: MFJ-1026?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 13:09:49 -0800
On 12/1/2020 12:31 PM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:
I used the MFJ 1026 (I had 2 of them) and also used the NCC-1.
I used them to phase various antennas including my en-echelon Beverage pair
which were fed with CAT5 instead of RG-6.
They worked just fine.  The NCC-1 is a more refined box, perhaps a bit less
noise, but at my city QTH I really didn't notice much difference.

Thanks for that assessment, Steve. I've never seen the MFJ box, and wondered how it compared to the NCC-1. I use the NCC-1 mostly to phase a pair of spaced VE3DO loops, but also occasionally and to try to cancel noise. I did extensive measurements of the NCC-1, which I published as part of slides for a talk at Pacificon on the VE3DO loops. It is, indeed, a very nice unit, quite well-behaved and useful up to about 20M.

http://k9yc.com/VE3DO.pdf

73, Jim K9YC