Re: [TowerTalk] Choke-Winding Wire Effects?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Choke-Winding Wire Effects?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 01:33:25 -0800
On 12/11/2020 1:10 AM, Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk wrote:
Hi, Jim and the group,
I need to wind a low-band feed point choke on one or two FT-240-31 ferrite
cores, and I noticed that various wire and coax chokes (measured) are listed in
the cookbook.
1. The black and white wires from 12-gauge "romex" are listed, but I have on
hand lots of black and wires wires from 12-gauge, heavy-duty extension cords. This is
stranded, which I understand isn't as well behaved as solid, but I'm wondering whether
the choke performance is similar to same-sized romex? I'm guessing that it is.

It isn't only about conductor diameter, the dielectric properties of the insulation, their thickness, and turn spacing when practical chokes are wound that matters. So no, I don't recommend using them and expecting results predicted by my measurements of other wires.

2. If I decide to use two cores in series, do I have to connect them "end to
end" (like the wheels on a car), or can I stack them with some minimal spacing (like
stacked dinner plates)?

They can be stacked; the key is to stack them far enough apart that capacitive coupling between them doesn't de-tune them or couple around them.

This is a 10-100 W choke, so dissipation isn't likely to be a problem. I have RG-58 on
hand, but I don't see any current winding data for it and I want to make a choke that
"has data" instead of just guessing. This choke will be at the base of an
inverted-L and will be in a waterproof box, so WX shouldn't be an issue.

I didn't considered RG58 because it's a very high loss coax. The only good reasons to use it are low cost and the ability to fish it through tight spaces, like vehicles. RG400 is equally lossy, but it's VERY well shield, and it's power handling (thanks to its TFE insulation's ability to withstand high temperature gives it very high power handling) makes it worth using. Chokes that do anything useful can burn enough TX power to overheat if not well designed.

FWIW, I do a lot of QRP, and my smallest coax is a very good RG8 (#10 solid copper center, shield is very robust tinned copper braid plus a pretty good foil; the robust copper braid matters at low frequencies, the robust foil at VHF/UHF). If I'm running 5W (or if I'm doing weak signal work at legal limit), I don't want to burn half of my transmitter in lossy coax! I also do a lot at legal limit.

73, Jim K9YC

As always, thanks,
--Kirk, NT0Z

My book, "Stealth Amateur Radio," is now available from www.stealthamateur.com