[TowerTalk] 4 square

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 square
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:32:08 +0000 (UTC)
I also used a 4 square with a Comtek box and really think setting up any 4
square near a tower/160 verticals is a crap shoot.
My 4 square at KH7XS was a wire array (30 buried radials under each element)
suspended by ropes around a 94 foot Rohn 55 loaded with a 4 el 40 and five
other antennas and in close proximity to a 160 inverted L.  Both the 160
antenna worked well but the F/B on the 80 4 square was nothing to brag
about..maybe about 10dB.  However, it did work better than no antenna.  Life is
a compromise.
At my new station in V31 I plan on doing the same set up around a 136 ft tower.
 However, the inverted L will be a little further away from the 80  array than
it was in KH6.  Again, life is a compromise, we can't all have a 4 square array
made of Rohn 25 next to the ocean.
Bill K4XS