Re: [TowerTalk] RG-402 wound on FT-240 core

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-402 wound on FT-240 core
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 10:44:55 -0700
On 3/18/21 9:19 AM, Byron Tatum wrote:
Just a note --    The actual semi-rigid cable (silver plated copper tubing outer conductor 0.141" OD) that is being discussed
RG-402 has an equivalent in a "conformable" cable. This conformable cable is the same construction except instead of solid copper
tubing outer conductor it has a solder-soaked braid. Easier to work with and same electrical properties. Huber-Suhner produces one called
"Sucoform" and another called "Sucoflex". I use the RG-401 size (0.250") for making short jumpers in my VHF/UHF
station, using the same connectors made for RG-401 semi-rigid. These connectors are easy to find and not expensive, if you dig around a little.
This 0.250" cable has very high power handling ratings at VHF/UHF.   There is a Chinese supplier of conformable cables on eBay.
You can get both of these sizes with or without a jacket. The Huber-Suhner cable Sucoform has no jacket.Just some limited information from my
experience,Byron W5FH

another brand name is Tensolite - although I think it's now called Carlisle MaxForm

https://www.carlisleit.com/prod-info/maxform-formable-coaxial-cable/

"hand formable" is the key phrase.  The solid copper stuff is "sort of handformable, but it works better if you have a bending jig, particularly for 0.250 and 0.141 size"

Watch the bend radius on all of these. Maxform 141 has a minimum bend radius of 0.63 inches (another reason to use the little bending jigs). The solid copper version from Fairview (and Pasternack) has a bend radius of 0.25" ID (so a bit more, along the center of the cable).  solid 141 is rated at 450W at 1 GHz.