Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Impact on Receive Performance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Impact on Receive Performance
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 12:25:45 -0700
On 3/23/2021 11:30 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
In my opinion the difference between connected and disconnected of only 2db
shows that you are marginal and likely impacting your RX performance.

For this sort of evaluation to be meaningful, the RX input should be terminated in 50 ohms. Ideally, we would like to see at least 10 dB difference. Does that radio have a preamp? If so, it should probably be switched on for weak signals on 20M.

Loss in 350 ft of LMR400 calcs to 1.6 dB on 20M. LDF4-50 (1/2-in) would reduce the line loss by about 0.9 dB, LDF5-50 (7/8-in) buys you another 0.3 dB.

73, Jim K9YC