Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to Glenn Martin & the Hazer?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What happened to Glenn Martin & the Hazer?
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 14:27:53 -0500
I am curious what tiltplate has to do with Hazer? I thought tiltplate was for a crank-up tower which is a very different concept.

John KK9A

Richard (Rick) N6RK

I own a GME 50 foot 18 inch tower and the associated Hazer.
The concept IMHO was fatally flawed from the get go.  First
of all, the tower was only of interest to people who wanted
to use a Hazer.  But they also made Hazers for R25, etc.
A muddled business model.

On my tower, they used sliding teflon "bearings" that went
through several design versions.  They all suffered from
critical adjustments that tried to walk a narrow path between
being too loose and too tight.  My 50 foot tower had a very
slight imperfection about half way up that made the Hazer
jam on the way down (no positive pull down).  I would have to
stop and grab one of the guy wires and shake the whole tower
to get it past the jam point.  Sighting lengthwise up the tower
did not reveal any smoking gun visually at the jam location.
The R25 Hazer wisely used rollers instead of sliders, but still
depended on mechanical perfection in the target tower.  But
Rohn never claimed to make "precision" towers.  There was a
Hazer 7 that utilized tracks (like on garage doors) that
possibly got around these problems, but the cost was astronomical.
The final nail in the coffin was the Tiltplate breakthough.
Once I built a Tiltplate in 2006, I never wanted looked back
at the Hazer again.  We almost lost the Tiltplate last year, but
it is back in business.  Please support the new owner!

73
Rick N6RK