Re: [TowerTalk] Guys, and anchors

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guys, and anchors
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:23:29 -0700
"You want very little sag? Better be prepared to have significant lateral stress, and make sure your anchors and guying system is designed for it."

I use 6' "thimble eyes", 5/8" thick, rated at something like 32,000# pull, sunk four feet into the ground with a 12"x12"x1/2" thick galvanized plate, and back-filled with rocks, gravel, and dirt. I picked them up from WedCo locally, but a large electrical distributor should be able to supply them.

No big tower, just a 24' piece of 2" chainlink fence toprail holding up a pair of inverted V's made of 1/4" stainless steel cable, which also act as the top guys. We do get a lot of wind, and horses, though.

I used fire standpipe brackets on the mast to connect the center guys to, through rope eyes, bolts with locking nuts, and 7/16" Dacron rope from HRO.

Pics upon request.

Kurt