Re: [TowerTalk] feedpoint capacitors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] feedpoint capacitors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 13:09:27 -0700
On 4/25/2021 9:04 AM, John Keating wrote:
Looking for advice on best type capacitors for legal limit L-C match at wire
dipole feedpoint.

A resonant half-wave dipole presents a low-impedance load with relatively low SWR to 50 or 75 ohm coax, and should not require anything to match it to the feedline. Indeed, depending on its height and the conductivity of the earth under it, Z at resonance will be between about 30 ohms and 90 ohms.

What IS often needed is some sort of matching in the shack for operation on bands like 80M and 10M whose bandwidth is a relatively high fraction of their wavelength. Tube power amps often have sufficient tuning range in their adjustable output networks, but solid state output stages require a tuner. As a contester, I need something much faster, and use stubs that I switch between for CW, RTTY, or SSB.

73, Jim K9YC