Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 15:20:03 -0500
Ah, but it can be, just not in the way guys generally think about...

A 2 element beam gain increases with coupling.  And that in turn drives the feedpoint Z downward.

In fact this characteristic can be used for tuning a 2 element beam.  Set the elements to the same length, then start shortning the DE relative to the reflector (or the director relative to the DE if you prefer that design) and sweep the general frequency range with the VNA, keeping track of the R at X=0.  When the R gets to about 20 ohms, that's not a bad sweet spot.  Then center the yagi on frequency by trimming the two elements to the same amount each time, hopefully getting the X=0 in the middle of where you want it.  Top off with a hairpin to bring a 50R direct feed and voila, that beam is going to be a very good performer, at least as a 2-element type goes.  All that assumes you have the antenna well off ground relative to the bandwidth of course.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com