Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G800 Slipping on 25G Rotor Plate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G800 Slipping on 25G Rotor Plate
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 22:21:12 -0000
I have had G2800-DXA rotators in windy Aruba and have not had any such
issues using the factory hardware. I am wondering if the G800 is the proper
rotator for a 10 element HF beam.

Did you use the original bolt or is there a chance that a longer one was
used and is bottoming on the threads or it's too short?

You may be able to use a thread insert to fix the thread but that still does
not address the slippage issue. I would not put a star washer between the
rotator and plate.

John P4/KK9A - P40A

Rob K6DQ wrote:

Hi Group,

   A couple questions. I installed a G800 in a 25G tower with a thrust
bearing top plate, that turns a JK Navassa 5 beam for a friend. At the
beginning and end of rotation, the torque from the beam was causing the
G800 to twist slightly on the plate, most likely from the bolt holes
being  larger in diameter than the bolts. Apparently the grinding sound
was a bit unnerving to the operator. So with a short wrench so as not to
be able to easily strip the bottom casting, I incrementally and
carefully started tightening the bolts to get to the point where it
would not slip. So, you are probably smiling as you know what happened
next. Yes, I stopped after stripping the first bolt hole in the casting.
Fortunately, a new bottom casting is not that expensive from Yeasu and
is on its way. So my questions are:
1. How difficult is it to replace the bottom casting on a G800?
2. Any thought on how to install the rebuilt G800 and not have it slip
on the plate? Maybe something as simple as putting a star washer on each
bolt between the plate and the bottom casting?

Thanks,
Rob K6DQ