Re: [TowerTalk] Salvage Heliax

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Salvage Heliax
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:43:09 -0700
I (with help) salvaged about 6pcs 150' lengths of LDF5 (7/8") out of conduits plus several more off a 120' tower. It helps a bit if there is some water in the conduit to get the lube slippery again. It was barely pulled by hand, a capstan was available if needed. Of course we cut off the DIN connectors at the far end.

It is important to have a feed in person and another to coil what the puller gets out. Plus a fourth if lube can be applied to any pigtails. We rolled the LDF5 in about 5' diameter coils. Some LDF4 was also recovered from other conduits.

LDF5 or larger is definitely worth salvaging. Larger radius bends and avoiding chafe are the biggies. Then finding the correct connectors and prep tools. Prep tools are essential for the newer versions of Heliax with very thin shields. TDR showed it all to be like new.

If you need new LDF5 7/16 DIN males contact me off list.