Re: [TowerTalk] Rapid-Deployment Beverage?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rapid-Deployment Beverage?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 08:14:24 -0500
It doesn't work that way.  You need two feed lines, each going to
opposite ends, each end having both a transformer and resistor, and
relays that switch them in or out to flip the direction.

Not necessarily. I have several bidirectional Beverages made from WD1A field phone wire. That stuff is like zip cord with a light twist. I have just one feedline running to one end of each Beverage. At the far end is a reflection transformer rather than resistor tor termination. At the feed end, a DPDT relay is used to select direction. In the "reverse" direction, the incoming signal is fed into the far end of the twisted pair in differential mode by means of the reflection transformer, where it travels back to the feed end using the Beverage as twisted pair transmission line. Voltage to power the direction switching relay is fed over the coax. By the way, these work equally well if not better fed somewhere along the length of the Beverage. The entire length is still used in both directions, so there is no performance loss. However this requires a different circuit at the feed point and two reflection transformers.

I got the basic idea from here:

<http://win.i1wqrlinkradio.com/archive/OH2BEN_Reversible_Beverage_Array-20-10-2007_04d.pdf>

I made some changes including feeding relay power over the coax and the center feed, but I have never found time time to properly document my variation.

73,
Paul N1BUG