Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed tower for 160m

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed tower for 160m
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:58:58 -0700
EZNEC has a feature to make a XYZ grid of wires, the manual advises less than 1/10wl between them, although I use a finer mesh. So some insight can be gained with the roof insulated from ground (no walls connecting it to ground).

The hard part is how the metal roof is grounded. With NEC4.2 a buried ground can be set up, not so in NEC2. Connecting the roof via something (mesh, separate wires) can take a lot of time to set up, then the high accuracy compute time can be significant. I've also run some models that run into numerical computation problems, I think because of the large number of segments and junctions. The current distributions made no sense and some tweaking of the model yielded sensible patterns.

From my modeling, I think (and one experience) the grounding of the roof may have a significant effect. Elevated radials should not be grounded.

Grant KZ1W