Re: [TowerTalk] Long Term Connector Reliability Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vo

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Term Connector Reliability Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:02:32 -0700
On 7/25/22 9:17 AM, Drew Vonada-Smith wrote:
All,

Before anyone decides to engineer a full-scale change from UHF to N connectors, whether it be due to
"electrical superiority", "water resistance", "reliability", or any other
reason, I suggest that you poll the experiences and opinions of a few large station or multi-multi users who
have worked with both.  You are likely to exit that conversation with a very different opinion.

The devil is in the details.  Feel free to email me if interested.

73,
Drew K3PA

This is very much so. I would say that one might also be influenced by the following:

Am I doing 1 connector or 100?

Am I doing the work myself, or am I ordering cables with the connectors assembled?

Generically, for pretty much all RF connectors, there's multiple workflows to put the connector on the cable - some are "one at a time, using simple hand tools" , some are "use specialized tooling (crimpers, etc.)" and that has a lot of effect on the ultimate cables.

Even between crimping there's a difference between "assembled one by one using a hand crimper hanging from a harness on a tower" and "assembled as a lot of 100 cables, using a air powered crimper in a factory with rotary strippers and assembly jigs".

I will note (having bought hundreds of cables at work over the years) that there are foul ups, even in a spaceflight qualified* assembly line, so another factor might be "do they test the cables before shipping" and "what's their return policy" - everyone I've ever worked with is happy to replace a defective cable, but there are differences in "how quick" you might get it.  If you have to wait 3 months for the next production run of that kind of connector that's different than "we'll ship it to you tomorrow".

*a space qualified process might actually be worse than a big mass production, since space stuff tends to be artisanally hand crafted with lots of inspection steps and handling.  Give me a cable made as a lot of a million going into a mass production item with high servicing/replacement costs - There's an incentive to "get the process right".   For instance, automotive engine control units have very low failure rates in service.  A 0.1% failure rate would be crippling to a car maker.