Re: [TowerTalk] YAESU 2800 ROTOR...PROBLEM

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] YAESU 2800 ROTOR...PROBLEM
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:22:10 -0700
I'd recommend using a DC power supply to sort the issues - pot vs motor vs cable. Disconnect the controller. It doesn't take much voltage (<12v DC) and current to get the Yaesu motor turning. Then ohm the pot with an analog meter to see if it behaves - a few ohms to less than 500 w/o glitches. Troubleshooting with a controller (RT21 or Yaesu) can't separate the issues given the position feedback control.

Some rotators have small drain holes at the bottom. Always seemed like a good idea to me even if condensation is the only source. There is a 3/16" hole in the Yaesu bottom casting, (I have 800, 1000, 2x 2800) so it is unlikely there is standing water inside, unless covered somehow.

The Nanoboshi connectors are pretty good IMO. I use some heavy silicone grease on the threads to help keep water out plus a wrap of the butyl self amalgamating material from Andrew Heliax waterproofing kits, sealing as best I can against the casting.

The voltages and pot ohms are so low it seems unlikely to me that water between the pins would show a dead short. But?? Pin corrosion is different and silicone connector grease can help prevent it.

Grant KZ1W