Re: [TowerTalk] stretched EHS

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>, "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stretched EHS
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 06:08:20 -0700
Steve,

I got to thinking more about your question - am wondering what you decided.

I assume you measured the small (0.2%) change in length when resetting the guy to the initial specified tension. That would confirm the actual inelastic stretch, or some combination of thimble collapse, grip or clip slip. Then if there are insulators, those repeated.

Also wondering if there was any slack tension bending deformation at the tree impact site on the EHS? That would be a sign of exceeding the yield point of some of the EHS fibers. Pretty much a "replace it" observation.

EHS also having a twist will want to un-twist (apparent stretch) when under tension beyond initial setting and suspect at high tension that behaves as a one time apparent "stretch" and does not relax when tension is removed. EHS has a slow twist for this reason. Another variable not well defined, and lacking any data I could find for EHS. Way back for my Phillystran guy project, I did come across some info re old straight fiber Phillystran vs new twisted which showed the apparent higher elasticity of the twisted.

btw comments like "EHS doesn't stretch" are wrong. The modulus of elasticity of soft vs very hard steel is essentially the same, thus for a given force a piece of steel stretches the same soft or super hard. What is different is the yield point and how sharp and short that transition is to the break point. This is widely misunderstood.

Hope that is helpful.

Grant KZ1W