Re: [TowerTalk] FW: High-Tension Wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: High-Tension Wires
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 17:24:35 -0400
Lightning induced voltages can do a lot of damage, it is important to have
proper bonding, single point ground and MOV or similar devices on the
rotators and switches.

John KK9A

Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

Further to the original subject - someone commented about the likelihood
of lightning striking one of the HV towers.  A couple of months ago I
had a near hit, as measured by the lack of any delay between the flash
and the boom.  Couldn't see any physical signs of a hit on my tower, but
it cost me a rotator, an antenna switch, the shack computer, an SDR
being used as a panadaptor on my K3, and finally, the USB port on my
KPA-1500.  I suppose it's possible that this was the result of a
lightning hit on one of the towers on the 500 KV line, but I'll never
know.  Would it have hit my tower (or did it)?  The antenna is below the
tops of surrounding trees?  I guess I'll never know.

73, Pete N4ZR