Re: [TowerTalk] New York state wind survival requirements for

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New York state wind survival requirements for
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:39:08 -0800
Good advice, but before talking to Planning or Permitting or whatever the granting agency is called, get a copy of the codes (online in most municipalities) and thoroughly read the relevant sections. Many have adopted very tough commercial regs and a section that exempts amateurs, but the use must be 100% non commercial.

As one petty bureaucrat said to me "knowledge is power" and some will mistakenly misapply the codes and some will purposely misread them. Some will actually be helpful. If they want to make it illegally hard, then it is time for a lawyer. Smile and be calm with abusers, there is no gain in drama. Expect a maximum application of codes - concrete slump and strength, soils loading, geotechnical study.. Some sensible, others spurious attempts deter the project.

I've had these experiences in EMA, SCV (the worst, offscale), and WWA.

One inspector had no clue about the structural difference between guyed and self supporting towers. Another did the final by looking out the window and signed off with "that looks like a tower". Towers are not in the usual code checks for residences. A PE computer analysis is beyond the software tools available to the plan review engineers.

Grant KZ1W