Re: [TowerTalk] Less Than Optimum Guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Less Than Optimum Guys
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:07:01 -0800
I think Wilson is correct that maximum 4 guy tension occurs when wind is aligned with that guy. That will also be minimum downforce on the tower.

However, when wind is splitting the angle between the 4 guy anchors, maximum download force on the tower occurs, the sum of downforce from both guys. 40% more than directly on one guy for the 4 guy example, while the tension in each guy is reduced by 30%.

As the angle between the guy anchors increases, the total guy tension needed to counteract the wind increases. At 120 degrees (3 guys) both the tension per guy and downforce are higher than with 4 guys when the wind splits the guy angle, the worst case.

I think some towers fail in buckling which is a downforce loading.
A very simplified model is the top guy counteracts the antenna wind load, and the intermediate guys keep the tower from buckling or from bending that exceeds the leg yield stress.

All of this ignores the wind load from guys, the preloads, and their dead weight adding to tower downforce.

Well, that's at least how my ancient memory of vector mechanics figured this out. Plus some prior posts.

Grant KZ1W