Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for C3

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for C3
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 11:01:15 -0800
On 12/29/2022 6:55 AM, tony.kaz--- via TowerTalk wrote:
  My question, how are folks mounting toroid style baluns on the C3?  Hanging
it below the feedpoint?

That's a very good method, provided that sufficient strain relief and structural support is provided. In general, my advice has always been to use whatever "balun" the mfr provides and add my choke on the coax side of it.

K0SN said:
>   and place it in a plastic NEMA box.

This can be problematic if the enclosure is not ventilated -- a choke that is doing anything useful will generate some heat, which must be dissipated. See NA6O's solution, in the Cookbook. FWIW, in the nearly 15 years since publishing the first version of the cookbook, I've never received a report of cores cracking from freeze/thaw cycling.

It's also critical that the choke not be de-tuned by taping the coax on both sides to the boom.

73, Jim K9YC