Re: [TowerTalk] More Radials = Higher SWR???

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More Radials = Higher SWR???
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 16:11:20 -0800
Hi Dennis,

Study these slides for talks I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several local clubs. It's all about antennas, radials, and other counterpoises for 160M antennas.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

A couple of points not made are that: 1) loss in coax is VERY low on 160M unless the run is VERY long, 2) 2:1 is pretty low SWR, 3) unless the SWR is very high and the run is very long, it matters most if the transmitter (or amp) is not happy enough to put power into the feedline, and 4) SWR is NOT a measure of antenna performance, it is a measure of how close the antenna's feedpoint impedance is to the Zo of the feedline.

As an example, I'm using an 80M dipole fed with about 170 ft of RG11 on 60M, where the indicated VSWR in the shack is about 5:1. Calculations say that I'm losing about 1.5 dB in the feedline, so I've got to put 150W into the feedline to radiate 100W (legal limit on 60M in the US is 100W ERP). Operating legal limit FT8, I've confirmed 62 countries, and most nights can work EU from my QTH near San Francisco.

73, Jim K9YC