Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for typical size attic info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for typical size attic info
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 21:15:25 -0400
I know this isn't the question you asked. (fully realize that) but the
question I'd ask myself is:

How well can I HEAR with ANY type of antenna in an attic?

Back in College I put a multiband fan dipole in an attic of a 16 unit apt
bldg and it "got out" just fine but I couldn't hear on most

bands worth a darn due to a lot of RFI etc.(s5-7 solid noise level, most of
the time)  That was just at the dawn of now commonplace switching power
supplies.

Your houses contents will be your enemy.  I know I can't hear a thing with a
rig inside my own house (KX2 or KX3 with indoor antennas, just playing
around) so most of my antennas are 150-200' away from my own house and
500-800' away from my neighbours. It's very quiet here, most of the time, in
most directions.  I worked 3Y0J today on 15m and they were in the
dust---mere whispers.  Saw gobs of complaints that few were working them in
NA on 15m, yet I did with very small antennas, located way out in a field.

So, a fan dipole will likely work just as well as any upside-down Hex (what
a great idea) as it's not likely to be very quiet, regardless of where it's
aimed, until you work on your (and your neighbours) trashy switching power
supplies, etc.

GL !

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey