Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator

To: Ken K6MR <k6mr.mail@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator
From: "Steve, NR4M" <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 20:54:15 -0400
Hi Ken,
That narrow bearing you mentioned is a thrust bearing and it is indeed made of
‘unobtaneium’.
But, there are an additional six bearing in that assembly that are made of the
same material.
In the large, low speed planetary gear assembly there are three ‘planet’ gears,
each on a thick shaft, and each shaft has a bearing on each end.  These bearing
are identical to currently manufactured bearings EXCEPT they are only 11mm
thick, where the standard ones are 12mm thick. Fortunately, if they are bad,
since they are in a low speed area, they could be replaced with sintered bronze
bushings.
It is my understanding, these bearings were especially made thinner to reduce
the overall size of the complete assembly.
I have a trick that will absolutely keep the water out.
I tried the addition of another seal internally, as was recommended by many,
and was not impressed.

73 de Steve, NR4M

Sent from my iPhone