Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for jumpers and right angle connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for jumpers and right angle connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 01:11:44 -0700
On 3/31/2024 12:14 AM, George Skoubis wrote:
I have used the RG-400 cables

The photo looks like no-name connectors, which I don't trust. When I was doing research on high power ferrite transmitting chokes for use at HF, I bought a lot of Harbour Industries RG400 on ebay, always carefully studying buyer ratings for the vendors. I bought more when rewiring antenna switching in my station. Harbour Industries is a North American company on the border between QC and VT.

I've standardized on UHF connectors below 2M, so I buy the raw cable, install my own connectors. I use Amphenol 83-1SP (no suffix), which are silver plated, and found an online source for the reducers. I would post the source, but a major east coast vendor run by a well-known ham has a nasty habit of shutting them down when I do. I learned this when I could no longer buy Synthetic Textiles antenna rope direct from the mfr.

My skill level is poor for most other connectors, so I've had a few cables made by a good company in the Los Angeles area for use with my VNWA measurement setup.

73, Jim K9YC