Using trlog on win95

Subject: Using trlog on win95
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (Dave Henderson, (Nawvemburr Zeeero Dawg House))
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:26:03 -0700
Paul D. Walker II wrote:

 > Has anybody tried using trlog on windows95?  The notebook I have been using
 > for contests was recently upgraded to 95.  I am going to use someone elses
 > station for IARU and forgot about this minor detail.  How about interfacing
 > with the rig?  Did that work ok?

Paul

I converted over to WIN95 about a month ago , I have been testing TRLog 5.72
under WIN95 for
about a week now in preparation for the upcoming IARU test this weekend. The
following are my
observations so far which may or may not be unique to my particular setup.

1) WIN95 actaully provides me with more free memory than when I run the program
from DOS 6.22
80k under WIN95 vs 50K under DOS 6.22)

2) Ocassionally the CW keyeing will be slowed or "chopped" under WIN95, I'm
sure if I play with
the software switches I can fix this problem. Also I'm running a 486/50 I'm
pretty sure on P75 or
better machine this wouldn't be a problem. This is most noticeable when it
writes the backup log
to a floppy every 10 QSOs.

3) If I pop out of TRLog via a hot key,<alt TAB> etc and then back in the TRLog
sometimes locks
up and has to be "killed" and re-opened from scratch. Again I'm sure some more
playing with the
"properties" box might solve this. In the mean time the learning process is
much like putting
your hand on a hot stove, usually after the first time you learn not to do it
again!

4) I run TRLog in the full screen mode, I have not tried to run it under a
"window" yet.
(although I have sucessfully run trlog "windowed" under WIN 3.1)

5) Setup here is a 486/50 with 8Meg and 1GB HD and a TS-850. I have rig control
on COM3 and CW
keying is on LPT2. COM 2 is VHF packet interface, COM 4 is HF digital rtty, and
LPT1 is the
Printer. (COM 1 is hooked to an external modem and I use a BUS mouse on IRQ2).
I have a 16 bit
I/O card which allows IRQ assignments  all the way upto IRQ 15 so there are
never any conflicts
on any of the ports.

6) As a safety backup I have a DOS6.22 boot disk setup which will automatically
loads TRLog
from autoexec.bat in case I run into actual problems in the middle of the
contest this weekend!

Hope this helps, good luck in the contest  and look for us on all bands
(160-10) on CW.

Dave
N0DH/7
dit dit