Happy birthday Version 4.05

Subject: Happy birthday Version 4.05
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:20:52 -0800 (PST)
I was just noticing that it was three years ago when version 4.05 was
released.  This is the public domain version that a lot of people are
using.  It was used by myself at TI1C to set a new North American
record which still stands (no sunspots!).  I think half of the top
ten used the program.

With the name database loaded, my computer shows about 20K free memory
(it isn't set up very well).  The current version after loading in
a record from the TRMASTER.DTA database had 71K free.

The Control-J command for 4.05 was just in it's infancy with only
15 commands.  Today's Control-J command has over 100 entries.  However,
the programs act the same if you fire them up from scratch (except
the newer version presents you with more choices for contests) and
except for the old boring beeps the program mostly looks and feels the
same.

I often get asked what the differences are between 4.05 and the current
version.  Maybe the best way to answer that is to explain how I keep
track of the changes I make from version to version.  At the start of a
file called TR.PAS is a list that looks very similar to the READ.ME
file, except I keep it to one line per change.  You have to go down
the list to find the changes made in older versions.  The entry for 4.05
starts on line 1054.

I still feel the public domain version is a great way to introduce
people to the basic concepts used in TR log.  Then, as they get hooked,
they will want the current version with all the new features.

I have been asked recently to update the public domain version to add
some new features/contests to it.  My response so far has been simple:
"No".  The program isn't that expensive for people that want the best.

Which reminds me, there is a price increase coming at the end of the
year.  The price for new users will go up 20 percent.  In the US,
that works out to $60.  International prices are about 20 percent higher
than that - but are worked out by the distributors.  The yearly
subscription fee of $15 will stay at $15.  Life membership is still
a good deal at $100 (unless I get run over on the freeway).

When I started this project, I figured it would take me five or six
years to catch up to CT.  Since CT has been stagnant for the last couple
of years, it has been easier than it might have been.  However, those
of you who know me know that the program will continue to grow and push
the state of the art of contesting operating at the highest levels.

What does the future hold?  Last year I predicted adopting the CT
Version 9 country files, supporting MASTER.DTA and taking it beyond
the current implementation.  These are now reality.  Moving forward
from here will be "on our own" as there really aren't any significant
features missing.  Some improvements in the information available
in real time (multiplier info - rate sheets - contact distribution)
are being pondered.  Some energy will be put into improving the multi-single
operation of the program.  I have even caught myself a few times
thinking about how to use 3 radios at the same time.

Certainly one of the biggest assets TR Log has are the people on this
reflector.  You guys are great.  I really appreciate the efforts you guys
make to help a new user get off the ground.  Also, the quality of
information I get when analyzing a problem is fantastic.  This
enables me to solve problems quickly.  Also, not being totally bogged
down with "stupid" questions makes this much more fun.

More than half of the ideas for new features come from you.  I try to
encourage this by actually being responsive.  At times, it is a challenge,
and sometimes a few ideas get lost behind my desk or trashed by one of
my kids.  I know I have a few pieces of correspondence that I have not
responded to in a timely manner.  It is much easier to respond over
the internet - but not everyone has access (yet).

So, keep those ideas coming!!  If there is something the program
doesn't do, let me know, and I will try and fix it.  Just wait until
after the end of the year as this is a busy time for everyone and
I probably won't do much except bug fixes for the next 6 weeks.

I should also thank George, K5TR (ex WB5VZL) for his help during
the last year.  He has really done a great job processing the orders
in a timely manner and has continued to answer a large percentage of
the technical questions.  Also, I understand from S57AD that TR Log
is selling like hot cakes in Slovenia!  Congratulations Mirko.

I think in another year or two, this program will be pretty good!!

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com