IC-765 & TR

Subject: IC-765 & TR
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy W. Cox)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 00:24:05 -0800
Bob Lanning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Getting ready for my first contest with TR.  (CQ WW CW)  Am still
> considering hooking TR up to the 765 via it's interface.  Before I
> continue to chase down how to avoid spending the $125 for the CI-V
> converter I was wondering just what does the 765 have to offer in input
> and output control functions.  The Ops and Srvc manuals don't address
> this.  I'm concerned that there may be very little gain for the pain due
> to the age of the technology and since it communicates with a one
> conductor plus ground interface!  Can't see how much can happen with out
> a send wire and a receive wire like serial interfaces are designed.
>
> Anyone got experience with this rig and TR?
> --
> Bob Lanning    73's de W6OPO

Hi Bob !

Just a couple of comments, having owned a 765 and used it with TR ...

1. DO NOT spend the 125+ for the CT-17, you can build a clone of it
   for less than 20 bucks ... I did ... and put inside the PC case,
   less RFI and ONE simple cable to the 765 ... FAX# there ? I can
   send you the schematic ... it's the REAL CT-17 schematic ...

2. The one conductor cable is BOTH, "xmit and rcve" ... and includes
   mode info also ... simple but works (KISS!)

Now ... IF ... you do hook it up, you get the benefits of :

A. No worry about "when I changed bands, did I change the PC"
B. The TR band map can be amazing in use with the 765
C. If you use pkt, then using TR and 765 to snag'em is a blast

Hope this info helps ... 73 Bill AA4NU  aa4nu@ix.netcom.com