Windows '95 and TR Response

Subject: Windows '95 and TR Response
From: robert_dannals@tracer.nm.jhu.edu (Robert Dannals)
Date: 2 Dec 1996 12:39:32 -0500
                      Subject:                              Time:  12:41 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Windows '95 and TR Response           Date:  12/02/96

There was there a Windows '95 guru in the house!!

The problem that I was having: " . . .  when I run TRLog from an MS-DOS
window in Windows '95, the program itself runs fine but I can't seem to get
the keyer interface on COM2 to run."

Matthew George (NG7M from Ogden, Utah) sent the following:

" " " " " " " " " " " " below from NG7M " " " " " " " " " " " "

"<SNIP>

I too had this same problem and here is a solution for running tr at a DOS
prompt inside Windows 95:

For some reason, TR doesn't initialize the comm port correctly from a DOS
prompt.  All as you need to do, is copy some bogus data to the comm port you
are going to have your keying interface on.  You can do this with a simple
batch file, or you can just issue a command to copy a small text file to the
comm port.

copy c:\config.sys com2:<Return>

This will cause a error writting to the comm port, just press 'a' to abort.
That should do it, now when you run TR, the keying interface should work just
fine.

<SNIP>

mg NG7M Ogden, Utah

mg"

" " " " " " " " " " " " above from NG7M " " " " " " " " " " " "

There's perhaps be a more elegant way of initializing the COMM port but mg's
solution worked just fine for me and his assistance was greatly appreciated.

73 de Bob - W2GG